Have you ever wondered what “Auld Lang Syne” meant – yeah me neither! I just want to down the rest of my champagne at midnight on New Years Day and make a few resolutions I will have broken by the next weak. Seriously, does anyone keep a resolution any more – did they ever?
Maybe the problem with resolutions is that they always seem so punitive – we are always giving UP something instead of adding to something. That’s not to say that there aren’t things we shouldn’t be giving up; over-eating, drinking to excess, negative thoughts. Wouldn’t it be easier, and maybe better, to start thinking of a resolution as something we should be doing instead of should not?
In the spirit of the new year and 365 days of endless possibilities, here is my new year “to-do list” instead of a “to-don’t list”. Fingers crossed these stick!
- Drink more water – I am going to be a peeing MACHINE in 2019. Drinking more water helps the whole body and most of us are not getting nearly enough of it. So, if you are wondering where I’ve gone – check the potty – I’m probably in there!
- Begin and end with a grateful thought – I have expounded the virtues of gratitude and, while I try to practice it regularly, I know I can spend an additional 30 seconds in the morning and at night to focus on what I am grateful for. Hopefully, this will keep me more focused on the things I am grateful for throughout the day.
- Shop the outside of the grocery store – Have your kids ever played “Hot Lava” – the game where they pretend the floor is made of molten earth and bounce from couch, to chair, to table so as not to step on the floor and get “burned”? Yeah, the inner aisles of the grocery store are now “Hot Lava” in 2019 – avoid, avoid, avoid!
- Write 1 letter a month – It seems so cliche, but in our fast-paced world, it’s nice to sit down and put a pen to paper and reach out to a loved one. Maybe even print a picture and send it! *gasp* Maybe with a glass of wine, some soft music, a crackling fire….sounding even better, isn’t it?!
- Schedule Me TIme – There, I said it. 2019 is going to be the year of ME – for at least 120 minutes a week. I’m busy, you’re busy, we’re all busy. We CAN schedule 2 hours a week to do something for ourselves. From getting your nails did, to that leisurely walk around Target (please tell me I am not the only one that walks Target to relax), to coffee with a gal pal – schedule some time to do what you want to do – you, me, we have definitely earned it!
- Bring Sexy Back – I am going to take my own advice and reinforce my practice of getting my mojo on fleek in 2019. I am going to practice all my 5 tips to get my Mojo risin’ in 2019 and keep it up all year.
So, what will you add to your 2019 “To-Do List” instead of your to-dont’s? Let me know in the comments. And, my very BEST wishes for a spectacular 2019!
And P.S. “Auld Lang Syne” translates to days gone by – just in case you were wondering!